[sdiy] Arp Omni strange filter behavior

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Fri Apr 15 02:04:55 CEST 2016

Hi Travis,

I've had a look at this this evening. Various things strike me:

If the CV at pin 4 of the VCF module is ok with the module out, that suggests the problem has to lie on the module. But we don't know for sure what that CV is supposed to be, so we don't know where the problem is for sure. There are two possibilities:

Assuming the problem is with the CV, there are a lot of sources feeding CV to that module. You say that the ADSR slider doesn't respond correctly. But you're sure that all the others are ok: LFO, VCF Freq control, and Pedal and External CV input if you can test them? An offset from one of those other sources might throw things out at Pin4. There's also a "VCF Freq Cal" trimmer, which could be way out, or could have given up the ghost.

If we instead assume the CV is ok (e.g. assume that the measured -1V to -2.6V is what's expected) then that would mean the problem is with the 4075. That CV leads straight to the exponential convertor, so that would have to be prime suspect. But if there was something wrong with that, *none* of the CV sources would work accurately. Which then makes me think that the first assumption might be better - if the problem really *only* affects the ADSR slider, then it has to be on the synth board and not the module. We'd then be looking for an offset generated by the ADSR module that would hold the filter closed until the last bit of the travel.

That suggests the ADSR generator. Does the ADSR affect the VCA correctly? Is there anything there which would suggest a problem with the ADSR? I notice that whereas the VCA takes the ADSR output only from the final amp (the 0 to -10V env indicated) the Filter also has a connection further back into the circuit via R41. It looks to me (Red flag! guesswork!) like it's a feedback path for a comparator to trip the circuit from Attack to Decay or something similar, but I can't work out all of the ADSR at the moment.

I hope seeing the process I went through thinking about it helps jog your memory or triggers some thought that had eluded you.

Tom

>>> http://www.soundcloud.com/thevoiceofsaturn