[sdiy] 1-bit ADC for audio/audio delay

David Moylan dave at westphila.net
Thu Apr 14 02:41:55 CEST 2016

Ah, reviewing the schematic and article, this is a delta modulator not a
sigma delta modulator.  So none of the information I gave is really
appropriate.  Noise shaping is not a feature of Delta modulation, only
SigmaDelta modulation, so you'd only get 1 extra equivalent bit per
doubling of sample frequency.

Let's be generous and say your oversampling ratio is 10 times over 44K.
  That's only ~3.3 doublings x 1 bits per doubling is going to give you
an equivalent of about 4.3 bits.  Obviously that's not going to sound
too great.

It may be worthwhile if you're breadboarding this to sum the input and
the feedback into a true integrator before the comparator to form a
first order SigmaDelta modulator to take advantage of noise shaping and
get 1.5 equivalent bits per doubling.  Same sampling frequency would get
you to about 6 bits (still crap but improving!).  If you can push to 1
Mhz you'd be closing in on 8 bits!  Of course, on a breadboard higher
frequencies can start to be problematic.

For the integrator, using the 1/f = RC method would suggest dropping the
100K resistor down to ~470 for 440kHz sampling rate.

One symptom that will tell you your R or C is too small for the
SigmaDelta case is that it will oscillate.  And overloading the
integrator usually sounds like aliasing at lower sample rates, but I'm
not sure if that will hold at these higher sampling rates.  The above
calculation is a good starting point if you go this route.

The references to 64x oversampling is probably referencing higher order
sigma delta modulators, not simple delta modulators...

Dave Moylan