[sdiy] 1-bit ADC for audio/audio delay

Veronica Merryfield veronica at merryfield.ca
Wed Apr 13 18:37:55 CEST 2016

One of my first digital delay projects was using a 16k by 1 bit DRAM chip, later 3x 16k x 1 as the delay element. I used a 1 bit ADC and 1 bit DAC. I can not remember the details but I am pretty sure I used a z80 since it did the refresh for me. I know it was’t complicated but it does need a high sampling rate.

I had seen someone using 8 bit wide shift registers and thought it could be done in a single bit shift register then thought a DRAM might make an interest shift register. I had a surplus 4116s having upgraded my computer (Computers Lynx) and I also had a bunch of z80s kicking around.