[sdiy] MIDI velocity

Ingo Debus igg.debus at t-online.de
Tue Apr 5 18:47:33 CEST 2016

> Am 05.04.2016 um 13:43 schrieb Richie Burnett <rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk>:
>
>  Is it reasonable to expect that I could use a low-end micro (e.g. PIC) to
> scan a 61-key Fatar velocity sensitive keyboard with sufficient velocity
> resolution to work well?

Maybe there’s a smarter way than scanning the whole keyboard all the time? For instance, in wait-for-key mode all the keys are in parallel, so when one key is pressed, the processor can react very quickly (thus measure the time very exactly), without knowing at first which key it was. Then, while the key is travelling, the keyboard is scanned to find the key. Then the processor waits until the key hits its final position and measures the time again.

It would also be less noisy, because the keyboard is only scanned when a key actually is pressed.

Some problems might arise, what happens when a key is pressed while another one is on its way?

Ingo