[sdiy] MIDI velocity

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Tue Apr 5 15:01:53 CEST 2016

>> 1. Is it reasonable to expect that I could use a low-end micro (e.g.
>> PIC) to
>> scan a 61-key Fatar velocity sensitive keyboard with sufficient velocity
>> resolution to work well?
>
> 1. yes, you can. I do that on PIC16 with promising results, but it's not
> yet finished, so no performance details yet.

Excellent.  That is the sort of comment that I was hoping for, to encourage
me.  I've got a 40-pin PIC18F458 in my junk box here that can do 10MIPS and
has hardware multiply if I need it.  Built-in TIMERs, UART for MIDI, plenty
of I/O and memory, and some ADC channels for pitchbend and mod wheels too if
I want them.  I'll set up a ring-buffer to hold outgoing MIDI events and a
loop to poll the keyboard for state changes.  Will get it working with just
de-bouncing and without velocity first, then see how I get on with the
velocity measurement side of things.

Many thanks,

-Richie,