[sdiy] Center Detent dead zone on an "attenuverter"?

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Sun Apr 3 03:51:19 CEST 2016

On Apr 2, 2016, at 4:09 PM, Chris McDowell <declareupdate at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply and input, Brian. A separate button to invert works great, and I do that with some 20mm sliders for the same reasons you listed. Thanks anyway! Just wondering if I'm overlooking something here that would make this simple, and tiny, design work a bit better.
Understood. Not only is simple a bit cheaper, but it can be faster to use.

Looking at this another way, I think that if your -/+ pots controlled a VCA instead of directly controlling the gain of the pair of op-amps, then introducing a dead zone in the middle of the pot range would not truncate the CV signals going through the VCA.

Of course, the problem with this idea is that a VCA per channel is way more expensive than a couple of op-amps per channel. There are also the DC bleed problems with VCAs. All things considered, I think you'd be able to affect your control taper a lot more easily with a VCA without distorting the signals passing through.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting