[sdiy] Center Detent dead zone on an "attenuverter"?

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Sat Apr 2 23:07:56 CEST 2016

Hi Chris,

As a user, or designer, I'd prefer to see separate controls for gain and invert so that the gain is not so touchy. With a single gain knob, you can be assured that fully counter-clockwise is a gain of zero instead of worrying about the accuracy of the pot's calibration. This would require a second switch unless you can find a pot with a push-pull switch.

I'm reminded of the Technics SL-1200M3D "reset" button that completely turns off the pitch slider, which also fixes a previous problem where the center detent did not match +/-0 pitch. The other models have an automatic switch associated with the center detent that actually engages a defeat circuit, but it was difficult to calibrate the slider so that the center matched the defeat, or reset, setting. I realize that what I'm suggesting would require an additional switch unless you can find a center-detent pot that also has a switch on the center detent. But, as I started, I think it's better to avoid the problem completely by placing full attenuation at the left and separating the invert function.

As for diodes, those are fine for DC control voltage signals, but I wouldn't put audio through back-to-back diodes! You didn't say, but I assume your 4-channel mixer is for CV, not audio.

Brian