[sdiy] unleaded solder

ASSI Stromeko at nexgo.de
Sat Apr 2 18:45:52 CEST 2016

On Saturday 02 April 2016, 12:19:15, Phillip Harbison wrote:
> Last night I was soldering for the first time in many years. I
> am trying to use lead-free solder. I believe it is 99% tin and
> 1% copper.

Bad choice for hand soldering and reflow.  This alloy is commonly used for
wave soldering and the L/S melting point is around 230°C (a whopping 45K
more than the usual tin/lead eutectic solder).  More suitable for hand
soldering is Sn/Ag/Cu or Sn/Ag, but the melting point is only marginally
lower.  If you don't want to upgrade the soldering tools and have to do more
than just a bit of repair work, stick with Sn/Pb/Cu, otherwise invest a bit
of time to learn about the alternatives for lead-free and replace your
tooling.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: