[sdiy] PCB op-amp layout - 2x2 or 1x4

Roman Sowa modular at go2.pl
Fri Oct 30 11:40:56 CET 2015

I use x4 or x2, depends on situation. Quad opamp in TSSOP14 takes
actually more space than 2 MSOP8 because it's wider, and in SOIC there's
not much difference in space taken. Sometimes I need more routes in
up/down direction so placing them between two 8-pin devices is easier
than circle twice more traces around huge 14-pin chip, or going to
another layer.
OTOH when there are not many leads, I'm happy to have x4 opamps.

So its basicaly down to every detail of specific design.

And BTW, I don't mind quirky power supply orientation in 14-pin device,
despite I've burnt a few chips because of that. It can always be rotated
on PCB and everybody's happy.
14-pin devices may have more crostalk between opamps, like you have big
spikes on one opamp and small clean signal on the other, it's better to
split them to separate packages.

Roman