[sdiy] Power Supplies

mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca
Sat Oct 10 12:38:00 CEST 2015

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015, Tom Wiltshire wrote:
> What's the evidence that drawing more current from a linear regulator
> causes its output voltage to fall? I thought that was exactly the
> problem regulators were supposed to solve?

If the output voltage doesn't decrease when the current increases, then
the real part of the regulator's output impedance is zero or negative,
which is very likely to create stability problems.  You want to to have a
small, positive, and almost purely resistive output impedance.

--
Matthew Skala
mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                 People before principles.