[sdiy] Microchip PIC 5 x 4 matrix

Roman modular at go2.pl
Wed Oct 7 22:59:22 CEST 2015

I'm not assuming one 100 ohm is used for all 5 LEDs, that would be terrible. I'm talking about bare PIC pin capability to drive that current to GND. 25mA is only marketing talk, look at what output voltage it is achieved.
Roman
Dnia 7 października 2015 22:43 rsdio at audiobanshee.com napisał(a):
On Oct 7, 2015, at 1:28 PM, Roman <modular at go2.pl> wrote:
> If you want to drive 5 LEDs in a single row from one RBx pin pulled low, that's about 15mA, and definitely RBx will not be at 0V anymore then, but maybe 0.5V or more. That may result in varying brightness depending how many LEDs are on in a row. 5 transistors will fix that. That is irrelevant of course if you plan to light only one of 20 at a time.
If there is a separate 100 ohm resistor for each LED, then the brightness will not vary, provided that the total current does not exceed the 25 mA capability of the PIC pin driving the column. Remember that each matrix intersection is in parallel with the others. That's partly why I suggested moving the 100 ohm resistor to the circuit path that is exclusive to the LED, rather than the path that is shared with the button, but it should work either way.
If you need to exceed 25 mA total for any column, then a transistor with a higher current capacity will solve that.
Brian