[sdiy] Reality versus simulation?

rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Fri Nov 27 17:50:18 CET 2015

Interesting.  Can you tie a whole load of the PIC I/O lines together and
then output the same PRBS signal to the whole group?  For example, if
you can send the same PRBS state *simultaneously* to all of PORTB and
tie RB0-RB7 pins together then that should give you eight times more
current sourcing and sinking ability than a single pin alone.  The lower
output impedance should be closer to what your simulator shows, and the
unwanted effect should be greatly diminished.

Or just make an estimate of the I/O line output impedance and then
adjust the filter resistance to take this source impedance into account,
maybe?

The other thing that I was going to suggest was that it might be due to
"sinc rolloff" of the spectrum in the discrete-time white noise output,
but I see that you said it had an acceptably flat response before being
connected to the filter when you checked.  It might be worth double
checking the "bit-rate" of the PRBS output is what you expect it to be
though, just in case it was significantly less for some reason!

-Richie,