[sdiy] Eagle footprints

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Sun Nov 22 00:55:44 CET 2015

That's a great suggestion, John. I use revision control for my Eagle library, and make comments about each checking, but it's difficult to look at a part and know it's history. Also, some of my custom parts have not been used yet, so presence in my private library is no guarantee that it's been vetted.

With status in the description, it's possible to note which projects have used a part. I just needed to change to larger SMD pads for a diode, and couldn't remember where it had been used.

Of course, there's no way I'll have time to list every project that a given part has been used, but at least the first success can be noted as a reference.

Fortunately, Eagle will not change the footprint in an existing layout if you change it in the library. The update only occurs when you specifically ask for it. Unfortunately, if you put all parts in the same library, then updating one will update them all. Tools like Cadence Allegro allow the update on a part-by-part basis, but the rest of their system is not as easy to use as Eagle.

Brian