[sdiy] Eagle footprints

john slee indigoid at oldcorollas.org
Sun Nov 22 00:34:06 CET 2015

On 22 November 2015 at 08:21, Brian Willoughby <brianw at audiobanshee.com>
wrote:

> With status in the description, it's possible to note which projects have
> used a part. I just needed to change to larger SMD pads for a diode, and
> couldn't remember where it had been used.

This gave me an idea, and it turns out that someone already wrote a Ruby
gem for reading Eagle schematics files. I now have the beginnings of a
little Ruby commandline tool "eaglegrep" that combines all the parts used
in all specified schematics, and optionally searches on the part name:

$ bundle exec exe/eaglegrep partsgrep BC..7
~/Documents/eagle/jslee/cgs/*/*.sch
transistor-npn/BC547*/
transistor-pnp/BC557/

The description is there in the schematic file too but it requires more
connecting of dots because each part references a device set and technology

I'll keep bashing at it and make this available on Github when it's a
little more useful. I like the idea of running an audit tool across all of
my projects at once, rather than interactively in Eagle, one at a time

John