[sdiy] Logic to +/-5V conversion

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Sat Nov 21 22:14:50 CET 2015

On Nov 21, 2015, at 5:58 AM, Simon Brouwer <simon at brousant.nl> wrote:
> Opamps in general are not the best choice for this unless you select a rail to rail output type (assuming you have -5 and +5 rails).
Agreed, with a couple of caveats regarding my original response.

First, I assumed that +/-12V is available (Doepfer modular), so +/-5V would not be an issue at all for a standard op-amps.

Second, I somehow missed that Tim only wants to output +5V and -5V exactly, and not anything in between! For binary output, an op-amp is a bit overkill, although it will provide the proper voltage to just about any load.

> I would use LM339 which is a low cost quad comparator. It has open collector output though, so you need pull-up resistors.
Good suggestion, but the pull-up voltage will sag when high currents are sinked by the load. When the output is -5V, though, the voltage will be consistent under any normal load.

I tried to come up with a simple, two-transister FET solution with a complementary pair of depletion-mode PFET and NFET transistors, but it looks like the task requires three or more transistors to work.

Brian