[sdiy] Digital topics like PLDs?

Roman Sowa modular at go2.pl
Tue May 26 10:16:41 CEST 2015

It's always a matter of choosing right solution for an application
considering what parts/tools are available. That's waht ingeneering is
all about, isn't it?
If I need just to replace obsolete burnt chip with 10 inputs and 8
outputs running in an environment with clock cycle 5us, surely I will
use $1 PIC to emulate it, and spend no more than an hour coding and fine
tuning.

For higher speed surely pure logic is the way to go. And by higher speed
I mean when I cannot fit entire program within required timeframe using
low range micro. It is of course doable with higher power
microcontroller but then it becomes the same kind of madness like
replacing simple low speed PLD with FPGA.

Roman