[sdiy] Digital topics like PLDs?

Colin Hinz lists at meccanion.com
Tue May 26 08:12:35 CEST 2015

On Mon, 25 May 2015, Michael E Caloroso wrote:

> PICs are more convenient coding wise, but PLDs can have faster
> propagation times.
>
> MC

PLDs also have very tightly controlled propagation times.

A microcontroller that is coded exclusively in assembly language
will have very deterministic propagation times.

A microcontroller that is coded in a high level language will
probably have repeatable propagation times, though YMMV.

If your compiler implements your logic using ISRs, and your
timing is tighter than metal-gate CMOS, I think you're really
taking your chances.

I suppose one should take my opinions with a grain of salt, as
I'm one of those hardware engineers who trusts HDL compilers
more than I trust software compilers.....

- Colin

---