[sdiy] MIDI Sys Ex packet length

MTG grant at musictechnologiesgroup.com
Sun May 24 23:07:49 CEST 2015

What I do, and I think it's pretty common, is to send the amount of data
that matches the flash sector size of the target. In my case that's 512
bytes. Then one typically sets the pause in MIDI-OX for that F7 to delay
the amount of time for the flash write.  I recommend to my users 150ms.
Never had an issue/failure/brick ever.

Now MIDIOX on the other hand is a bit of a brute. I always struggle with
the port settings. I ended up writing my own. It wasn't that bad but
took a while to get solid. Your USB endpoint size will determine how
many of those 4-byte packets you get at a time on your micro. And you
will find an empty one too on occasion.  I found that out on Win7 or 8,
can't remember. That's not well addressed by the spec that I could find
but no issues once I discovered it. I posted a question about it on
midi.org.

GB