[sdiy] how to tell metal film resistors?

Andy Eakin aeakin1 at matrixblues.com
Fri May 22 14:05:12 CEST 2015

So a rehash of a similar conversation on MW a few months back:

Commonly you will see these colors

Brown = Carbon Comp
Tan = Carbon Film
sorta Aqua towards baby-blue = Metal Film
Sky Blue = Metal Film
Lime Green = Capacitor
Not Exactly Lime Green towards dark green = Inductor
Aqua = Inductor

But honestly, there is no "standard" that I am aware of, a manufacturer
can use whatever color resin to coat the part that they choose.

The colors I mentioned are just some that I have experienced first hand,
I have film resistors in about 10 shades of blue! To be honest I have
seen aqua resistors and tan inductors!

Measurements like the others mentioned earlier are really the only way
to be sure.

Andy