[sdiy] Audio codec question

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Tue May 19 21:35:45 CEST 2015

On 16 May 2015, at 17:15, rsdio at audiobanshee.com wrote:

> I want to second the suggestion that you really need good DMA support if you want to do audio. Finding an affordable processor with I2S should also solve the requirement to have good DMA.

Thirded. DMA isn't essential, since you can always process samples one at a time in an interrupt and then shove the next one out, but it is *far* more efficient to process them in blocks (of 8, 16, 32, whatever) and then get DMA to transfer them to the DAC as required.

As ever, the set-up is a painful process of trying lots of things until it goes, but once it's working, it's like magic.

Tom