[sdiy] Audio codec question

Byron G. Jacquot thescum at surfree.com
Sat May 16 21:43:48 CEST 2015

>Does anyone know of an audio codec that uses SPI instead of I2S?  It seems the only processors that have I2S are rather high-end and I don't need that much power.

The only ones I know of are the VS10xx from VLSI.

It's not so much the I2S peripheral itself, but that the VLSI chips have a RAM buffer that they play back from.  You feed them a burst of data, and they spool it out.  I2S is pretty hard to use if you don't have a DMA engine on the processor, because the codecs don't have any sort of buffer, and need a fresh sample on every clock.

-Byron Jacquot