[sdiy] Loctite 648 on fader knobs?

KA4HJH ka4hjh at gmail.com
Thu May 14 21:10:27 CEST 2015

On May 14, 2015, at 2:32 PM, Hugh Blemings <hugh at blemings.org> wrote:

>> I'm thinking of using a small dot of  Loctite 648 but wanted to know
>> if there's a better solution?
>
> A bit of a hack but a piece of tissue or regular paper appropriately folded has been of assistance to me in these situations in the past.

Yes, a shim is the way to go. Here’s how I would do it:

Get some mylar adhesive tape, like Scotch Magic Tape. Wrap a few turns around the shaft, enough that the knob won’t slide on. Peel some of the tape back and cut it off with an X-Acto knife. Try the knob again. Repeat this until the knob fits snugly. Once you know exactly how much tape to use you can finish the rest of them quickly.

This type of tape has an adhesive that doesn’t dry out and mylar is very stiff so rocking the knob around shouldn’t work it loose it for a long time, if ever.

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"