[sdiy] 8253 modern replacement?

Lanterman, Aaron lanterma at ece.gatech.edu
Tue May 12 19:28:51 CEST 2015

On May 8, 2015, at 9:49 AM, Roman Sowa <modular at go2.pl> wrote:

> That's another example of higher power syncing all our minds around
> the globe. I was thinking about exactly the same and started the design
> of  programmable counter using generic logic parts: 4x74161 and 2x74595.
> The result was about 3x3.5cm PCB for one 16-bit counter. Definitely too
> big for me.

If you want to talk about seriously too big, take a peek at the Synclavier FM boards. Each set of 8 voices takes somewhere between 5 to 7 boards (IIRC), depending on whether you have mono or stereo voice. Only one of the boards (I think) has the DACs and remaining analog circuitry. The rest are 74xxx this and 74xxx that.

- Aaron, currently looking over Synclavier patents because for no sane reason