[sdiy] 8253 modern replacement?

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Fri May 8 19:54:43 CEST 2015

> On May 8, 2015, at 10:12 AM, John Speth <jspeth at avnera.com> wrote:
>> An FPGA will allow you to squeeze several timers
>> and interfacing into a single chip, but it might be easier to just use a
>> couple of standard SoC parts that each have several timers inside.
>
> That's an understatement: An FPGA will allow you squeeze at least
> thousands of timers on it. :)

Of course. If you buy the biggest, most expensive, power-hungry FPGA, then you'll have thousands of timers. But don't forget the smaller, cheaper ($1.31) FPGA parts that have fewer gates. Admittedly, the smallest FPGA options might support hundreds of timers if there is nothing else but timers implemented. There are other programmable logic devices such as CPLD and SPLD that might fit the budget and design requirements.

I'm not even counting the FPGA parts that Mouser lists (but doesn't stock) with prices ranging from $9,087.81 to $32,131.00 from Microsemi and Lattice. Yes, I can't believe there are chips that cost that much!

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting