[sdiy] 8253 modern replacement?

MTG grant at musictechnologiesgroup.com
Fri May 8 19:05:39 CEST 2015

Or this:

http://www.electricdruid.net/index.php?page=projects.vcdo

"A single chip 1V/Oct voltage controlled digital oscillator, with 20
waveforms in a scannable wavetable.
The VCDO uses a PIC 16F1847 microprocessor to create a versatile and
simple voltage-controlled 8-bit digital wavetable oscillator. All
oscillator parameters are controlled by 0-5V control voltages. The chip
has a native exponential control response, making interfacing with
1V/Oct control voltages very simple, even without an exponential convertor."