[sdiy] 8253 modern replacement?

Roman Sowa modular at go2.pl
Fri May 8 15:49:44 CEST 2015

That's another example of higher power syncing all our minds around
the globe. I was thinking about exactly the same and started the design
of  programmable counter using generic logic parts: 4x74161 and 2x74595.
The result was about 3x3.5cm PCB for one 16-bit counter. Definitely too
big for me. So I turned back to the old counter chip and bought them in
PLCC, which is so much smaller than my silly attempt.
Yes, they are still made today by Intersil, but a bit pricey for such a
simple device, about $8 for single 82c54, which is just slightly
improved 8253.

Roman