[sdiy] The API Lunchbox format

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Sun May 3 23:30:13 CEST 2015

Ah, you're right, Tom. I was looking at designing for API 500 over a decade ago, and the details had faded. At the time, I was comparing API 500 ±16.5 V to analog mixing consoles with ±28 V, which made API 500 seem underpowered.

Compared to modular, with some standards as high as ±18 V, but Euro at ±12 V, API 500 wouldn't necessarily be a huge step down in quality.

In any case, I don't see much benefit in designing new synthesizer modules for API 500. But it would make sense to patch synth voices through an API 500 lunch box for effects and other processing. Personally, I'd probably want to keep them separate. A lunch box is too small to fix much of a modular synth into, so you'd need a couple of racks anyway - might as well make one API 500 for processing and the other Euro for synthesis, and then just patch between them. I recall that API 500 have XLR connectors on the back, so running those through a patch bay to convert to phone or banana plugs would help integrate API 500 into a modular setup.

Brian