[sdiy] Recommended silicone grease for lubricating sliders ?

Tom Arnold xyzzy at sysabend.org
Tue Jun 16 22:23:56 CEST 2015

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 12:28:29PM -0700, Gil W. wrote:
> I'm restoring an entire set of Juno 60 sliders which are in horrible state (no less).
>
> While they do seem to move nicely once taken apart and cleaned, they still need to be greased...
>
> What product would you recommend for greasing these sliders ?

I use Caig Deoxit Fader Lube.  Comes in a little dripper bottle with a long
metal snout.  If I take the sliders completely apart ( just had to do that to
remove *rust* from inside some ) I may do a *thin* coat of silicone grease on
the metal sliding surfaces, but use the Caig on the carbon itself.  Whatever
you use, use sparingly, and note that a lot of people have reported that the
feel changes after it sits for 24 hours or so, so lube is lightly, swish it
around a bit, and then try it again a day later before adding more.

Anything you put in there will help attract future dirt and dust, so make sure
you repair any dust guards that may have worn away.  For that I use black
sizing from a fabric store.  Its used to stiffen collars and stuff in sewing.