[sdiy] Board Cleaning, Was: Super S/H doc

Mike Beauchamp list at mikebeauchamp.com
Tue Jul 14 23:11:51 CEST 2015

On Mon, 2015-07-13 at 15:01 -0700, MTG wrote:
> What are people using to clean boards with these days?  I've been using
> electronic grade isopropyl alcohol on boards I repair (solder is
> old-school Kester 245 SN63/PB37) and it sure takes a lot of IPA and
> patience to get a board clean. Same if you use it on "new construction".

Hi Grant, 245 is Kester's "no-clean solder" so I'm not sure why you are
wanting to clean it? FWIW, I used to use IPA+water to clean boards when
I was using 44, but I've now switched to 331. 331 cleans up with just
water and a bit of scrubbing, I'll also give it a quick rinse in
distilled+surfactant before I leave the boards to dry. After that I'll
use the 245 for parts that cannot be washed and I haven't had a problem
with the 245's flux remaining.

There are worse solvents out there compared to IPA, and the MSDS of some
of the general flux removers aren't too pretty. But I try to minimise
the use of solvents in my small shop, so the switch to 331 (and 245) has
been positive.

Mike