[sdiy] SOIC LT101 equivalent / dilemma

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Wed Jul 29 20:32:53 CEST 2015

Hi Justin,

Two comments, but certainly no complete answer.

1) I just designed a board with the TL084. I don't know whether the TL082 outperforms the TL072 in your area of interest. There are tens of thousands of op-amps precisely because "performance" means something different in each application.

2) You may already be doing this, but I recommend leveraging the Mouser.com search engine to narrow your choices. You can browse to op-amps and then pick power supply ranges, noise specifications, and other criteria to narrow your list. From there, it's a matter of poring over data sheets, but at least you can rule out thousands of options fairly quickly. The caveat is that Mouser doesn't carry absolutely everything, but I doubt they're missing anything commonly available.

Hope this helps! I've found that it can really take a lot of time to find the right op-amp, but you're starting down the right path by designing for the standard pinout at the beginning. Get your PCB layout done first and then start fine-tuning the op-amp selections.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting