[sdiy] SSM2055 ethics

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Fri Jul 10 20:16:18 CEST 2015

True, but if the chips are there now, and no-one's doing anything with them, it seems a shame to waste them! Anyway, isn't obsolescence simply a part of electronics? How many designs survive more than a couple of decades? Even the few that do (you can still buy a 741…) are mostly clearly obsolete. I've designed replacement env gens around current PIC parts, but within a decade or two those won't be available, and it'll be time to redesign for the available chips of the future. That's simply the nature of the business. Work with what you've got in your parts drawer, since that's what's available to you right now. If that includes old SSMs that you haven't got any other good use for then go for it. Just don't order a hundred PCBs if you've only got five chips.

I had several 2056's hanging around at one point and had this same debate with myself. I'd been given a dead Polysix which I cannibalised for parts to keep my own Polysix running. Eventually I was contacted by someone else in a similar position, and I sold them the missing env gens they needed, which saved me debating further, and meant that my one dead Polysix had saved at least two others.

However, this process of cannibalising parts means that instruments with common serious failures ( like the battery leakage problem ) are only going to get rarer and rarer. Polysixes were cheap once - I bought mine for $100. God knows what it's cost me since then in time and effort! You can't find them at anything like those kind of prices now, and I suspect there are many less than there were then too, given their reliability, or lack thereof.

Tom