[sdiy] Sallen Key with input mixing to generate all shapes

Andrew Simper andy at cytomic.com
Tue Jan 6 02:28:02 CET 2015

On 5 January 2015 at 21:50, <rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> Thanks for sharing this interesting work.

Your welcome!

> In the discretization technical paper it would have been interesting to see the resulting z-domain frequency responses for the digital realisations of the filters, so that comparisons can be made with the original s-domain analogue prototypes as the cutoff frequency approaches the Nyquist limit.  (The s-domain frequency responses are "textbook" analogue 2nd order shapes, so aren't particularly interesting by themselves.)
>
> -Richie,

It is trapezoidal integration, which gives a cramped response which is
equivalent to the bi-linear z transform which is why I didn't bother.
Please read the other papers I wrote for derivations and plotting of
the z-domain transfer function. I show the derivation of forming the
z-domain transfer function directly from trapezoidal integration here:
http://cytomic.com/files/dsp/SvfLinearTrapOptimised2.pdf in the
section "Transfer functions for low, band, high, notch, and peak,
continuous and discrete"

> PS. The mixture of "electrical schematic" and "signal flow" representations in the same diagrams might be a little confusing to some.  I'm an electronics engineer so am familiar with looking at both, but they usually aren't mixed in the same diagram.

I originally had little triangle amp blocks but things looked messy.
Donald posted a link to this paper:
http://www.ka-electronics.com/images/pdf/Steiner_Filter.pdf , which
uses a square with a sigma sign in the middle to show a summing block,
so I used this idea but instead used a more modern + sign in a circle.
Should I switch it to how Steiner does it with a square and sigma? Is
that more standard for idealised circuit diagrams? I show the
development of the notation I used here:
http://cytomic.com/files/dsp/OnePoleLinearLowPass.pdf with the full
resistor divider network to use a circle with a + instead, but I am
happy to change it if there is something just as succinct and more
standard.

All the best,

Andy