[sdiy] Microcontrollers for eurorack use... What to use?

Eric Brombaugh ebrombaugh1 at cox.net
Mon Jan 5 04:41:51 CET 2015

On Jan 4, 2015, at 4:08 PM, rsdio at audiobanshee.com wrote:

> One thing to consider is whether you're working on firmware for a "real" DSP, or simply doing DSP operations on a general purpose CPU. In the latter case, it's easy enough to run the "tests" on your Mac because Standard C is Standard C everywhere. But in my case, the DSP code is in assembly, and it's very difficult to simulate the same results when the processor has an instruction set that cannot be fully expressed in C. TI has a simulator, but since that runs inside CCS anyway, I found it just as easy to run on the actual processor.

This is a good point - without thorough testing it's easy to overlook some fairly obvious bugs in the DSP. On the embedded ARM systems I've often extracted the C source for my DSP routines and run them on the PC with controlled stimulus / analysis to ensure things are working right. I've made extensive use of Matlab and/or Octave for this and recommend it.

Eric