[sdiy] Microcontrollers for eurorack use... What to use?

Eric Brombaugh ebrombaugh1 at cox.net
Sun Jan 4 19:42:45 CET 2015

I bought a personal license to Rowley / Crossworks about 8 years ago
when I first started experimenting with embedded ARM and did a number of
test projects with it at the time. It's a decent tool with lots of nice
features but I don't use it now and here's why: the terms for the
personal license are very explicit that it cannot be used for any work
that earns money. Since a lot of my work ends up in commercial
applications I can't in good conscience use this tool, and I don't want
the hassle of starting a personal project in Crossworks and then porting
to some other tool if/when I find a commercial application for it.

Given the number of high-quality free IDEs out there that perform as
well as Crossworks and don't impose restrictions, I'm surprised that
their personal and educational licenses have any market at all.

Eric