[sdiy] Microcontrollers for eurorack use... What to use?

Eric Brombaugh ebrombaugh1 at cox.net
Sun Jan 4 18:20:14 CET 2015

Like Olivier I prefer to use a simple editor/gcc/make/gdb flow running
in Linux for my ARM embedded development, but for those who want a
tightly integrated IDE with syntax highlighting, source debugging and
other advanced features, or those who don't care to work in a Linux
environment there are a number of free dev tools that work with the
STM32 in Windows:

http://www.emblocks.org/web/  - Em::Blocks is a free and featureful IDE
that is easy to install and supports the STM32 Discovery boards out of
the box. I've done a few test projects with this tool and found it
fairly easy to use. Em::Blocks supports "semihosting" which allows you
to redirect C stdio (printf, etc) to the host machine over the SWD/USB
connection and also allows realtime probing of variables in a running
process without halting.

http://www.coocox.org/ - CoIDE is free IDE based on reskinned Eclipse
that supports a wide variety of ARM processors including some (but not
all) of the STM32 line. I've used this for a few projects where the
client needed to build under Windows. CoIDE also supports the STM32
STLink V2 download/debug protocol without extra effort.

http://www.keil.com/arm/mdk.asp - Keil MDK is an expensive but well
maintained IDE that "pro" shops use. There is a code-size limited free
version for evaluation purposes that will generate up to 32kB binaries.
I've used this for several small projects. The downside I've found is
that it doesn't support STLink V2, so a more mainstream download/debug
pod like a Segger J-Link is needed. Keil has excellent code optimization
- typically binaries are 1/2 to 1/3 the size of those generated by GCC
for the same input source. Unfortunately the 32kB code size limit is
applied *prior* to the optimization step.

There are others out there but these are the ones I have direct
experience with.

Eric