[sdiy] Microcontrollers for eurorack use... What to use?

Scott Gravenhorst music.maker at gte.net
Sat Jan 3 17:18:55 CET 2015

Hi Paul,

I don't have a precise answer for this, however, I've successfully
powered 4 dsPICs (28 pin DIP) from a single 1 ampere 3.3volt supply.
three of the dsPICs were doing audio, one was acting as a MIDI
controller talking to two of the others as voice engines over SPI.

Judging from the datasheet (70292G.pdf), near the end there are some
graphs showing current (high and low logic levels) for different numbers
of IO pins up to 16.  With 16 pins at 3.3v supply, it looks like about
90mA.  I am assuming this is with the IC running at 40 MIPS (and I don't
know if this is simply the IO current or if it's total device current -
there may be more information in the datasheet, I just now took a quick
look).  The dsPIC also has some power saving features, but I've not used
them as I'm trying to get as much continuous computing power as possible.

HTH

Paul Perry <pfperry at melbpc.org.au> wrote:
 >Scott, (or anyone!) what's the current draw on that Microchip dsPIC33F
 >in typical audio use?  Someone told me they are pretty thirsty,but
 >obviously it is very frequency dependent.
 >
 >paul perry Melbourne Australia

-- ScottG