[sdiy] Microcontrollers for eurorack use... What to use?

Chris McDowell declareupdate at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 22:53:17 CET 2015

Hey Guy!

I second the freescale suggestion. The Teensy 3.1 Dev board uses the MK20DX256VLH7, and it’s fairly boss, with USB, fast ADCs and a built in DAC. It benefits hugely from an audio codec, which can be finicky but shouldn’t be too nuts to get one up and running. I’ve done algorithmic reverb and polyphonic FM synth stuff with no problems with this chip. Multichannel looper would be possible with extra storage and an audio codec.

AVRs are great too. I started with arduinos, eventually making standalone hardware but still using their IDE. They’re fine for most things except audio. The PH01II uses the atmega328, same as the arduinos.

The tricky part for me at first was making my own hardware after getting stuff working with dev boards. I, and probably others on here, would be happy to help with that step.

Cheers!
Chris