[sdiy] Microcontrollers for eurorack use... What to use?

Tim Ressel timr at circuitabbey.com
Fri Jan 2 22:15:07 CET 2015

Hi Guy,
I've used Atmel AVRs for years. The compiler is free and the chips are cheap and easy to figure out. Atmel also has 32 bit chips if you need more power.

The DSPICs from Microchip are nifty as they are dsp and some at least have audio DACs. And they have some in DIP packages for easy breadboarding. MikroElektronica has some nifty tools for those and many other chips.

I've been looking at the Freescale Kinetis Microcontrollers, specifically the M20 series because they can drive audio codec chips. I think my new FM oscillator will be based on those.

Tim Ressel
Circuit Abbey
503-750-9331
timr at circuitabbey.com