[sdiy] Home silkscreen painting ?

john slee indigoid at oldcorollas.org
Mon Aug 31 00:49:03 CEST 2015

On 31 August 2015 at 03:30, Tom Arnold <xyzzy at sysabend.org> wrote:
> On the subject of powder coating.  Thrift store toaster oven $20.  Self
> contained powder coating gun ( Craftsman brand ) ebay $30. ( Summitracing
> has it for $50, WAI Powdercoat gun ).  Black matte powder $15.  The WAI gun
> only holds a small amount of powder, but way more then enough for doing a
> bunch of modules.  Once you work the kinks out, so much nicer and more
> predictable then painting.

Yeah DIY powdercoating is very easy to get into. I had a chance to try it when a
friend setup a powdercoating rig in his garage when modifying a Land Rover. Even
as a total noob I was able to get pretty good results. As with much
metalwork, the
prep work makes a big difference.

I would expect powdercoated panels to be far more scratch resistant
than painted.

My friend's setup was somewhat larger — he already had a large electric air
compressor, so just added the powdercoating gun and found a cheap 90cm wide
domestic kitchen oven in local classifieds.

John