[sdiy] 7-segment LED displays with 4511 driver chip - max current?

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Mon Aug 17 03:46:49 CEST 2015

Hi Jason,

I meant to reply earlier to say that I like your idea below.

If an LED matrix needs to be interrupt-driven, then it would be possible to shift the next value into the shift register as the last operation of the interrupt, after which it could return immediately without a busy wait. The beginning of the interrupt would disable the old column, transfer the previous shift register value to the outputs, and then enable the new column. All of that can happen without wait states, usually, and the final operation would be to pre-load the next row. This adds very little latency and keeps the interrupt from looping to wait for completion of the serial transfer.

The only serious drawback is that the serial bus is not available for other communications without polling the "done" bit for the SPI/I2C. Slave select signals would be needed, too, but those are expected when sharing a serial bus.

Brian