[sdiy] 7-segment LED displays with 4511 driver chip - max current?

Tim Ressel timr at circuitabbey.com
Sat Aug 8 19:43:22 CEST 2015

Hi,

Some thoughts:

Modern displays don't need ads much current as older ones. You might be
able to get away with just a few mA, especially if you use a color
filter to enhance contrast.

My go-to for this would be a 74HC595 shift register. I would multiplex
the displays, either with 2 '595s or with a single and use 3 proc lines
to drive the display common pins. Multiplexing might be off-putting if
you haven't done it before, but it is really quite easy.  '595s are
groovy because you can clock them fast, and you can use SPI or
bit-banging to drive them. With an Atmel AVR at 20 MHz and SPI you
should be able to get in and out of the display routine in a few micro
seconds. Also with multiplexing only one display is on at a time, thus
reducing total current draw.

--TimR