[sdiy] How do contemporary velocity sensitive midi pads work?

Chris McDowell declareupdate at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 04:25:49 CEST 2015

Howdy list,

I'm wondering if anyone has some experience with the design of modern velocity sensitive pads (just found myself curious).

Controllers like the akai LPD8 don't appear to have piezos, but do have concentric squares on the pcb underneath each pad. I can kind of guess that these may work like the staggered switches that provide velocity on a synth keybed, but it's not super clear. I've read a bit about "velostat" and FSRs also, and am wondering if they're perhaps doing the deed. I know older MPCs do indeed have piezos, and that seems pretty straightforward. Any info is appreciated!

Cheers,
Chris