[sdiy] MonoSynth Note Priority over MIDI

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Tue Oct 21 21:38:27 CEST 2014

+1 what Olivier said. I've coded similar things and used either 6 notes stacked (e.g. one more than you've got fingers on one hand) or eight (I was feeling RAM flush and added a couple!)

To be honest, I don't see much point including things other than last note priority. Low and High note priority only exist as historical curiosities in my view, due to the quirks of the analog keyboards that originally produce the CVs. I can't see a reason for actually using them. If you press a note, it's because you wanted it to sound - that's last note priority. Fall-back to held notes is useful for the same reason - it's what you expect. Notes that are held down should sound. Since it's a mono synth, I think it's reasonable to assume that people will play it with one hand, so storing five or a bit more notes seems ok. But if it's easy to go to 12 or 16, then cool - why not? Mostly it only costs a few bytes of RAM and a little bit of time in a couple of routines. Which is not to say I've bothered every time.

HTH,
Tom