[sdiy] 3080 discrete clones

Tom Farrand mbedtom at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 06:14:22 CEST 2014

Maybe someone found out about Rochester Electronics.  They own the
masks and have the technology to make as many as you'd like to buy.  I
think they have about 11,000 CA3080AE devices in stock (8-pin plastic
package).  Why reinvent that which can simply be purchased?

The other day I got a quote from Rochester at something like $4.53 in
onesy-twosey quantities and <$3 in reasonable quantities.  They also
have CA3280 for about $12 each but I think they are working on wafer
stock.

And Jameco has been selling CA3080s forever.  Now the website says
"closeout" at $3.95 in small quantities.  The ones I got a very long
time ago were house numbered but still the real deal.

A group buy would probably bring the price down if there was demand.
These days, 2164 chips are probably the better way to go unless
looking specifically for reproducing "retro" circuits.

Peace.
Tom Farrand