[sdiy] For you FM synthesis fans

Rainer Buchty rainer at buchty.net
Wed Nov 19 18:20:33 CET 2014

On Wed, 19 Nov 2014, Scott Nordlund wrote:

> Here's the paper: http://yeeking.net/pdf/roth_yee-king_ICMC2008.pdf
> And a further one that I haven't read: http://yeeking.net/pdf/AES_paper.pdf
>
> There are unsubstantiated rumors of Yamaha using software like this to
> program the presets for their FM synths, but to me this seems kind of
> absurd.

Thanks for the feedback, Scott!

As for the rumors, the story I heard some decades ago (I think I even
read it in the German issue of Keyboards magazine, but I would have do
dig deeply to verify that) was that at least one particular sound
resembling a plucked wire of the Golden Gate bridge was first modeled
using Karplus-Strong, then analyzed and transformed into according DX7
parameters.

Rainer