[sdiy] Coarse and fine on one pot

Ingo Debus igg.debus at t-online.de
Wed Nov 12 21:31:27 CET 2014

Am 12.11.2014 um 14:05 schrieb Rob Spencer:

> Does anyone know of a pot which has the ability to control coarse and fine values in one unit.
>
> So there would be one knob, with maybe an outer for coarse and inner control for fine. I'm sure I've seen then on electronics from yesteryear but can't seem to fine then anywhere.

The by far most elegant one-knob coarse/fine control I've seen so far was on my first Hohner digital reverb. It was like a light-going standard 270 degrees pot mounted on the axis of another standard 270 degrees pot that was a tad heavier-going. So if you turned it clockwise, the lighter-going pot (for fine control) was agitated until it reached the end of its travel. You could turn it past this point, then agitating the heavier-going coarse control. It was used for delay time control, with a resolution of a millisecond for a 500 or so milliseconds range.

Such a "potentiometer" is probably not available these days as a  ready-made unit, but maybe DIY-able?

Ingo