[sdiy] Michael Barton?

eidorian at aladan.net eidorian at aladan.net
Fri Nov 7 05:11:03 CET 2014

On 2014-11-06 19:26, Nicholas Keller wrote:
> Shame you say the simple quantizers aren't accurate.

In my defense I actually only said they aren't "incredibly accurate"...

As far as I can tell they're good enough for most people (including
me), but I saw comments that there were tracking problems at the
extremes of the output range.  Michael himself pointed out that it's a
simple circuit, very low parts, low cost and not perfect.  I'm quite
sure that's why he created his enhanced "dual nice quantizer", which by
all accounts is excellent.  It uses an MCP4822 D/A converter for better
linearity and precision, same as the one used by a lot of the modern
circuits like the hexinverter MIDI2CV and the MIDIBOX's AOUT (I think).

I found the thread on Muffwigglers where this was discussed: Michael
wrote "My goals for the design were for it to be small, easy to build
and have minimal control so it could be used as a small standalone
module or added to the output of a sequencer. I wasn't trying to compete
with Doepfer or any other manufacturer/designer in having the most
features, the largest voltage range or the most precise accuracy."  His
username is "Boogdish" -
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56585

Bottom line - Michael's stuff is interesting, good and different, check
it out:  http://bartonmusicalcircuits.com/synthstuff.html

Cheers,
A.