[sdiy] electronics book

Thomas Strathmann thomas at pdp7.org
Thu May 15 16:05:03 CEST 2014

On 5/15/14 10:52 , Justin Owen wrote:
> +1 on the comments so far about TAOE but there's also a 'student manual' that is sold as an accompaniment that (IMHO) is more practically oriented and a much easier read.
>
> Bought my copy on eBay UK but it does have "This book must not be sold outside Africa, Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka" on the back!
>
> +1 for Walter Jung's Op Amp Cookbook.
>
> Two books that have been recommended to me recently are:
>
> Sergio Franco: Design with operational amplifiers and analog integrated circuits
> Hans Camenzind (him of the 555): Designing analog chips

I quite like "The Circuit Designer's Companion" by Peter Wilson for its
pragmatic treatment of things to consider when actually designing and
building circuits. It's not too heavy on mathematics as I recall. The
book by Sergio Franco is certainly not for the faint of heart as it is
written for university students who have been exposed to a good deal of
calculus. A nice book about op amp circuits in my opinion is Ron
Mancini's "Op Amps for Everyone" (a version of which is available as a
PDF free of charge from Texas Instruments). In some ways it is the total
opposite of Franco's book being very light on mathematics apart from
some basic algebraic manipulations once in a while. That would be my
personal reccomendation for a beginner looking for practical information
on how to use op amps gainfully.

"Small Signal Audio Design" by Douglas Self is also a very interesting
book written from the perspective of a battle hardended designer of high
quality audio circuits. I found it to be an enjoyable read.

	Thomas