[sdiy] Digital modular backplane - update

Paul Maddox yo at VacoLoco.net
Mon Mar 31 23:26:38 CEST 2014

You could also use a 'snap' mode (I think some waldorf synths do this)

I do this on gorf (optional mode you can turn on/off)

In gorf if the velocity of a step is say 50% and the knob is at 75% then
as you turn it the value doesn't suddenly jump as it would in example C
(which I personally have no problem with).
instead it shows "hi" as the knob is higher than the value it's
changing, so you keep turning it, when you get the to value it 'snaps'
and at THAT point the knob starts changing the parameter.
Similarly if the knob is at 25%, with the value at 50% it shows "lo".

you could replace "Hi" and "Lo" with a red/green LED. heck even one
inside the pot shaft.

Rotary encoders aren't that hard to implement, nor a simple LED ring.
and given the front panel is going to need some sort of micro it could
handle the LEDs and encoders without much effort.
If there's space in the FPGA (someone mentioned using an FPGA) then why
not grab one of the many FPGA CPU Cores that are free online and use
that to run the front panel LEDs/Encoders.

the touch screen idea is a valid one also, I mean why not, LCDs are
relatively cheap and touch screens can be had for a few pennies more
(check ebay).

I'm NOT quite so convinced about the iPhone thing though, you *could*
make it work using the contactless thing, but you'd need to keep moving
the iPhone, or buy a lot of them :)

Paul