[sdiy] Mains interference

Needham, Alan Alan.Needham at centrica.com
Fri Mar 28 09:43:39 CET 2014

Is it possible that too much emphasis is being placed on earth integrity here?
My home shares a 100kVA pole transformer with about 20 houses (3 phase, so not exactly the same).
The earth in our house is the incoming lead water pipe - less than ideal.
Could the radiation problem be line lengths? If a mains run just happens to be tuned to some magic RF frequency?
I wonder if a 240v isolation transformer could be borrowed to feed an offending device to break that 'tuned loop'.

As I say, our earth is shoddy (avoid the word 'shocking') and I have no problems with things like thermostat-induced noise.

HTH, Alan